The History of the Parish

    It began on the 29th day of June 1955, when His Excellency Most Rev. Thomas A. Boland, Archbishop of Newark, officially announced amidst prolonged and continuous applause to the Portuguese people of his Archdiocese, the creation of a new Parish - Our Lady of Fatima - to pastorally serve the Portuguese speaking community.

    On the same day His Excellency presented to the people, who filled the Portuguese Sport Club on Prospect Street, the first pastor he had chosen to direct the work of the new Parish. He was Rev. José Lebre Capote, who until then had served the Portuguese communities of Gloucester, MA, at Our Lady of Good Voyage Parish in the Archdiocese of Boston.

    By order of the Archbishop and the consent of the Parish of Saint James, pastoral and liturgical assistance was immediately started in the Church of St. James, then located on LaFayette Street. The Masses for the Portuguese began on July 10 1955 with celebrations at 8:15am and 11:00am every Sunday. Weekday Masses were held in the chapel of the St. James Hospital.

    On December 1955 a building to be used as the rectory of Our Lady of Fatima was purchased. It was located at LaFayette Street, across from St. James rectory. New the Pastor could live in the midst of the community and better serve them. With the Archbishop's authorization, arrangements were made to build a chapel in the rectory for weekday Masses and confessions. On April 2, 1956 Archbishop Thomas A. Boland bless the rectory and the chapel.

     In the summer of 1956 the organization and study of the building Fund Campaign got under way. This fund would mark the beginning of the work for a new and spacious church.

     On December 16, 1956 His Excellency, Archbishop Thomas A. Boland officially opened the campaign and blessed each and every one of the workers, Portuguese men who willingly offered their services, their time and their leisure, to successfully carry out this undertaking.

     It was winter but the cold and snow did not cool the enthusiasm or the love in the hearts of those men.

     The site for the church had already been chosen. Everyone worked very hard. With persistence and good will purchase was completed of the majority of the houses which had to be demolished to make way for the church. By paying excessive sums of money the others were also finally obtained.

     Ground-breaking ceremonies were held on November 3, 1957, after the houses had been demolished. Monsignor James A. Hughes, Vicar-General of the Archdiocese of Newark presided over the ceremonies and many hundreds of Portuguese people and religious and civil dignitaries also attended. Tears which were smiles of happiness could be seen in the eyes of many. The mute sobs in the hearts of others were sounds of triumph.

     From the moment on work never ceased. Today the church stands completed in all its majesty and grandeur. Let all those who tried to prevent this realization remain in obscurity.

     The dream, which for more than 40 years had been only a dream of thousands of Portuguese people, is a living reality today.

     The ardent desire of all those Portuguese who felt in their hearts and still feel that need of spiritual and moral comfort which the Church gave them in their native land, and which they had hoped to find in the New World, has finally been realized.

     The work is done, well done. If up until now we needed the cooperation of all, from now on we cannot do without it. Our church, the Church of Our Lady of Fatima, is a reality, but a very young reality. Like a young child, it needs support. The church is built. It is the fruit of your love, your dedication, your kindness and your sacrifice. It is also and especially the fruit of the support and paternal protection of His Excellency the Most Reverend Archbishop of Newark, who understood so well and felt so keenly the desire and need of the Portuguese people of his Archdiocese.

Rev. José Lebre Capote, P.P.

Adapted from the Dedication Journal -"History of the Parish", in Dedication Journal,

Sunday, December 14, 1958

A História da Paróquia

    Foi apenas no dia 29 de Junho de 1955 que Sua Excelência o Senhor Dom Thomas A. Boland, Arcebispo de Newark, anunciou oficialmente, entre prolongados e frequentes aplausos, aos portugueses da sua querida Arquidiocese de Newark, a criação da nova Paróquia de Nossa Senhora de Fátima para servir as necessidades pastorais da comunidade de lingua portuguêsa na arquidiocese.

    Foi nesse mesmo dia também que Sua Excelência Reverendíssima apresentou ao povo português, que enchia o Sport Club Português, o primeiro pároco por ele escolhido para dirigir os trabalhos da Paróquia, O Rev. Padre José Lebre Capote, que até então tinha servido nas comunidades portuguesas da Arquidiocese de Boston, como vigário paroquial na Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Boa Viagme em Gloucester, Massachusetts.

  Por ordem o Senhor Arcebispo Dom Thomas Boland, e com o consentimento da Paróquia de São Tiago (St. James) começou-se logo a assistência aos portugueses na Igreja de São Tiago, sita então na LaFayette Street. As Missas dominicais começaram a ser celebradas na igreja no dia 10 de Julho de 1955 às 8h15 e 11h00 da manhã ao domingo. As missas semanais seriam celebradas na capela do Hospital de St. James.

    Em Dezembro de 1955 comprou-se um edifício que ficou a servir de residência e cartório paroquial. Estaria então localizada até 1971 na 253 LaFayette Street, de frente à antiga reitoria de St. James Church. Agora o pároco podia viver no meio dos portugueses para melhor os poder servir. E com a autorização do Sr. Arcebispo procedeu-se ao arranjo de uma Capela na própria reitoria para as missas da semana e para as confissões. O Sr. Arcebispo veio benzer a reitoria e a capela no dia 2 de Abril de 1956.

    No verão de 1956 começa o trabalho de organização e estudo para se fazer uma campanha de angariação de fundos necessários para dar inicio às obras de uma nova e airosa igreja paroquial.

   E no dia 16 de Dezembro de 1956 o Senhor Dom Thomas A Boland abre oficialmente a Campanha e abençoa cada um dos trabalhadores, homens portugueses que, de boa vontade ofereceram os seus serviços, o seu tempo e o seu descanso para tornar possível e bem sucedido este empreendimento.

  Era inverno, mas o frio e neve não conseguiram arrefecer o entusiasmo e o amor nos corações desses homens.

  O local da igreja já estava escolhido. Trabalhou-se muito. Com persitência e bons modos compraram-se a maior parte das casas. Com excesso de dinheiro conseguiram-se as outras.

    No dia 3 de Novembro de 1957, depois de demolidas as propriedades, procedeu-se ao "ground-breaking", cerimónias presididas pelo Monsenhor James A. Hughes, Vigário Geral da Arquidiocese, e com a assistência de muitas centenas de portugueses e altas individualidades civis e religiosas. Podiam ver-se nos olhos lágrimas que eram sorrisos de alegria. Podiam ouvir-se no peito de outros soluços que eram sonhos de trinunfo.

  E nunca mais se parou. Hoje a obra impõe-se com magestade e grandeza. Fiquem-se na obscuridade da história os "velhos do Restelo" e os "Miguéis de Vasconcelos". O Sonho sonhado por milhares de portugueses há mais de 40 anos torna-se no dia da inauguração, 14 de Dezembro de 1958, vivo e realidade.

   Ficou realizado o ardente desejo de todos aqueles portugueses que no seus corações sentiram e sentem a necessidade do conforto espiritual e moral que a Igreja lhes dava na sua terra natal e que eles esperavam no Novo Mundo para onde imigraram à procura do pão para os seus.

 O trabalho está feito, bem feito. E se até aqui precisámos de cooperação, agora menos a podemos despensar. A nossa igreja dedicada a Deus sob a invocação de Nossa Senhora de Fátima, é uma realidade, mas uma realidade que precisa do amparao dos seus. A igreja templo está feita. Ela é o fruto do vosso amor, da vossa dedicação, do vosso carinho, do vosso sacrifício e especialmente do amparo e protecção paterna do Sr. D. Thomas A Boland, Arcebispo de Newark, que tão bem compreendeu e sentiu o desejo e a necessidade dos portugueses da sua arquidiocese.

Rev. José L. Capote, P.P.

Adaptação do livro de dedicação -"História da Paróquia", in Dedication Journal,

Sunday, December 14, 1958

Copyright © 2019-2022 Church of Our Lady of Fatima | All Rights Reserved | Site Webmaster Joseph dos Santos